Anne L. Josephson
- Tel: 617-227-7031
- B.A. 1973 Smith College, magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
- J.D. 1977 Boston College Law School, cum laude, served as Editor-in-Chief, Boston College Industrial & Commercial Law Review (now Boston College Law Review)
Anne Josephson focuses her practice in employment law and litigation, and also represents clients in a wide variety of litigation matters including civil rights, business, real estate, and health law. In the area of employment law and litigation, Ms. Josephson represents employers and employees alike.
Ms. Josephson typically advises individuals and businesses on a broad range of employment-related matters. For employers, this typically includes counseling on employment policies, practices, and decision-making, as well as training for compliance with various employment-related laws. Ms. Josephson has also been retained to conduct internal investigations of discrimination complaints. For individuals, her practice typically involves negotiation of employment contracts and severance agreements; counseling on employment issues arising in the workplace; and pursuing and/or defending employment-related claims in administrative and judicial proceedings. The type of claims she works on broadly includes those arising under federal and state antidiscrimination laws; those arising under employment contracts, including change of control provisions covenants not to compete; and those arising under ERISA. Ms. Josephson regularly represents organizations who file amicus briefs on matters affecting the enforcement of civil rights and workplace antidiscrimination laws. She has completed the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination “Train the Trainer” program, offering best practices in anti-discrimination training and in conducting workplace investigations of discrimination complaints. Ms. Josephson frequently serves as a panelist in continuing legal education programs offered on current topics in employment law.
Ms. Josephson served as a law clerk to the Honorable Edward F. Hennessey, Chief Justice of the Supreme Judicial Court for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts; Assistant Attorney General in the Government Bureau of the Department of the Attorney General for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts; and Associate and Junior Partner at Nutter, McClennen & Fish. In addition, Ms. Josephson was a Teaching Fellow and former Adjunct Professor in Advanced Written Advocacy at Boston College Law School. She has also served as a facilitator in the City-Wide Dialogues on Racial and Ethnic Diversity.
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- “Effective Attorneys’ Fee Petitions: Perspectives from the Bench and Bar” Boston Bar Association, April 9, 2013 (bostonbar.org).
- “Fee-Shifting Statutes,” Women’s Bar Association Panel Discussion, October 22, 2012
- The Supremes: Review and Preview of 2012 Employment Cases,” Boston Bar Association Continuing Legal Education Series, October 1, 2012
- “Summary Judgment: To Move or Not to Move – Strategies for an Employment Discrimination Case,” Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education 14th Annual Employment Law Conference, January 5, 2012
- Hot Topics & Emerging Issues in Employment Law, in 13th Annual Employment Law (MCLE 2010) (with Heidi S. Alexander)
- Developments in the Law of Employment Discrimination: Case Notes – State Court Decisions (2008), in 11thAnnual Employment Law Conference (MCLE 2008) (with Michelle A. Moor)
- 2008 Developments in the Law: Employment Discrimination, 29th Annual Labor & Employment Law Sprint Conference (MBA, 2008) (with Michelle A. Moor)
- Retaliation Claims After Burlington Northern: Reference Notes on ‘Adverse Action’ (BBA, 2007) (with Mark Burak)
- USERRA and G.L.c. 151B: A Brief Comparison, BBA “Spotlight” Series: Spotlight on Employment Law: Cutting Edge Issues in Litigation (BBA Spotlight Series, June, 2006) (with Amy A.C. Mainelli)
- Severance Agreements: An Informal Checklist, in Employment Discrimination Law 1999 (MCLE, 1999) (with Sharen Litwin)
- Drafting Pleadings in Massachusetts Superior Court Civil Practice Manual (MCLE, 1997) (with Hon. Margot Botsford, Hon. Barbara J. Rouse eds.)
- False Light Invasion of Privacy Claims Massachusetts, in Defamation Claims in the Workplace (MCLE, 1997) (with Patricia Meunier)
- Written Advocacy, in Civil Litigation Prep (MCLE, 1996, 1995, and 1994)
- Parental Leave and Part Time Employment: A Report on a Survey of Massachusetts Legal Employers (Women’s Bar Association of Massachusetts, 1989)
- Practice and Procedure Before the Single Justice of the Massachusetts Appellate Courts, (Massachusetts Bar Association, 1984)
- Report on a Survey on Maternity/Paternity Leave, Part Time Employment, and Related Subjects (Women’s Bar Association of Massachusetts, 1982)
- Standing to Challenge Exclusionary Zoning in the Federal Courts, 17 B.C. Indus. & Com. L. Rev. 347 (1976) (with Alice S. Lonoff, Comment)
- 1975-1976 Annual Survey of Labor Relations and Employment Discrimination Law, 17 B.C. Indus. & Com. L. Rev. 1041 (1976)
- Boston Bar Association, Member of the Steering Committee of the Labor and Employment Section
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Women’s Bar Association
Awards & Honors
- Tier 2 National and Tier 1 Metropolitan Boston ranking for Employment Law-Individuals and Litigation-Labor & Employment by all by U.S. News – Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms” in 2022.
- Named as a Super Lawyer® by New England Super Lawyers Magazine (since 2004)
- Ranked from 2017-2019 and in 2021 as a Chambers USA Band 1 Attorney by Chambers USA in Labor and Employment-Mainly Plaintiffs Representation – Massachusetts
- Selected for inclusion in the last 26th Edition by The Best Lawyers in America (The Best Lawyers in America, August 2019).
- Selected as a 25th Edition 2019 Lawyer of the Year for Litigation – Labor and Employment in Boston by The Best Lawyers in America (The Best Lawyers in America, August 2018).
- Selected as one of the 50 Top Women Attorneys for Employment and Labor (Boston Magazine, April 2017 and 2018)
- Selected as one of the Top Women Attorneys in Massachusetts for Employment and Labor (Boston Magazine, April 2013, 2014, 2015 & 2016)
- Voted a 2016 “Lawyer of the Year” for Litigation Labor and Employment by Best Lawyers in America
- Selected as Chambers Rated in 2016 by Chambers USA in Labor and Employment-Mainly Plaintiffs Representation – Massachusetts
- Voted a 2014 “Best Lawyer” for Employment Law-Individuals and Litigation – Labor and Employment by Best Lawyers in America
- Voted a 2013 “Lawyer of the Year” for Employment Law-Individuals by Best Lawyers in America
- Named as among Super Lawyer’s top 50 women lawyers in 2011
- Named as a Best Lawyer in Massachusetts, Employment Litigation (since 2010)
- Achieved the highest ranking for Massachusetts lawyers who represent plaintiffs in employment litigation, Chambers USA (2012)
- Named by Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly as among the Top Women of Law (2010)
- Honored by the Jewish Alliance for Law and Social Action for Dedication to Civil Rights Enforcement (2008)
- Holds an AV preeminent rating from Martindale-Hubbell
- Co-Founder of the Amicus Group
- Member of the Advisory Board to the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination
- Member of the Governing Board, Law Clerks’ Society of the Supreme Judicial Court
- Member of the Legal Committee, American Civil Liberties Union of Massachusetts
- Member of the Advisory Board, Wide Horizons for Children
- Member of the Board of Directors, Union of Minority Neighborhoods